Posted on 15 Sep 2014 at 12:24 by Vicky Lewis
Earlier this year I discovered – and started subscribing to – the free HEER (Higher Education Empirical Research) Database managed by the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA). This provides an archive of summaries / abstracts of HE-related research papers and reports published over the last 10 years.
Subscribers to the monthly HEER newsletter have new reports and papers flagged up and the ‘most-read’ summaries from the previous month highlighted. It is also possible to browse the database by theme (broad ones and sub-themes), year of publication and publisher.
Personally, I find it a quick and easy way to keep abreast of the latest research and, based on the summary, to determine whether it is worth reading the full paper or report.
I have a particular interest in Transnational Education (TNE) (which is one of the sub-themes) and have been struck by the increasing number of papers relating to this.
Looking back at the last six months of the HEER newsletter, TNE has been one of the top five most popular themes and one of the top five new releases in every month but one. The five most-read summaries have also included at least one relating to TNE every month.
For those who are also interested in this topic, here’s a rundown (and links to) the five most-mentioned TNE-related summaries since April 2014 (most recent first):
1. Emery, V and Wharton, M. (2014) Challenges for the leadership of transnational education in higher education: balancing risk and innovation. Challenges for the leadership of transnational education in higher education: balancing risk and innovation, ( ). pp. 1-32.
2. Tsiligiris, V. (2014) Transnational education vs international student mobility: substitutes or distinct markets? . Transnational education vs international student mobility, . (.). pp. 1-53.
3. O'Mahony, J. (2014) Enhancing student learning and teacher development in transnational education . Enhancing student learning and teacher development in transnational education, ( ). pp. 1-48.
4. NUS. (2014) Transnational education: the challenges of partnership and representation in a global context . Transnational education: the challenges of partnership and representation in a global context, ( ). pp. 1-28.
5. British Council. (2014) Exploring the impacts of transnational education on host countries: a pilot study . Exploring the impacts of transnational education on host countries: a pilot study, ( ). pp. 1-23.